- (British) IPA: /ˈs(j)uː.tjə(ɹ)/, /ˈs(j)uː.tʃə(ɹ)/
suture (plural sutures)
- A seam formed by sewing two edges together, especially to join pieces of skin in surgically treating a wound.
- Thread used to sew or stitch two edges (especially of skin) together.
- (geology) An area where separate terrane join together along a major fault.
- (anatomy) A type of fibrous joint bound together by Sharpey's fibres which only occurs in the skull.
- (anatomy) A seam or line, such as that between the segments of a crustacean, between the whorls of a univalve shell, or where the elytra of a beetle meet.
- (botany) The seam at the union of two margins in a plant.
suture (sutures, present participle suturing; past and past participle sutured)Translations