- IPA: /ˌsɪmpəˈθɛtɪk/
- of, related to, showing, or characterized by sympathy
- John looked very upset. I gave him a sympathetic look.
- Antonyms: unsympathetic
- relating to similarity
- Sympathetic magic is based on imitation or correspondence.
- (physiology) relating to the sympathetic nervous system
- Sympathetic innervation involves epinephrine.
- Antonyms: parasympathetic
- relating to sounds induced by vibrations conveyed through a fluid from a body already in vibration
- French: sympathique
- German: mitfühlend
- Italian: sensibile
- Portuguese: simpático
- Russian: сочувствующий
- Spanish: compasivo, comprensivo, amable