synonym (plural synonyms)
- (semantics, strictly) A word whose meaning is the same as that of another word.
- Synonyms: equivalent, poecilonym
- Antonyms: antonym, opposite
- (semantics, loosely) A word or phrase with a meaning that is the same as, or very similar to, another word or phrase.
- Synonyms: metonym
- “Happy” is a synonym of “glad”.
- (zoology) Any of the formal names for a taxon, including the valid name (i.e. the senior synonym).
- (taxonomy, botany) Any name for a taxon, usually a validly published, formally accepted one, but often also an unpublished name.
- (databases) An alternative (often shorter) name defined for an object in a database.
- French: synonyme
- German: Synonym, Synonymum, Gleichwort, bedeutungsgleiches Wort
- Italian: sinonimo
- Portuguese: sinónimo (Portugal), sinônimo (Brazil)
- Russian: сино́ним
- Spanish: sinónimo