- Any thick liquid that has a high#Adjective|high sugar#Noun|sugar content#Noun|content and which is added to or poured over food as a flavouring.
- maple syrup
- pancake syrup
- peaches in syrup
- 1819, John Keats, “The Eve of St. Agnes”, in Lamia, Isabella, the Eve of St. Agnes, and Other Poems, London: Printed [by Thomas Davison] for Taylor and Hessey, […], published 1820, OCLC 927360557 ↗, stanza XXX, page 98 ↗:
- With jellies soother than the creamy curd, / And lucent syrops, tinct with cinnamon; [...]
- (by extension) Any viscous liquid.
- cough syrup
- rose syrup
- (Cockney rhyming slang, shortened from "syrup of figs") A wig.
- French: sirop
- German: Sirup
- Italian: sciroppo
- Portuguese: xarope
- Russian: сиро́п
- Spanish: almíbar, jarabe, sirope