- (countable) A tarp, a heavy, waterproof sheet of material, often cloth, used as a cover or blanket.
- Throw a tarpaulin over that woodpile before it gets wet.
- (countable, slang, archaic) A sailor (often abbreviated to tar)
- (uncountable, obsolete) Any heavy, waterproof material used as a cover.
- (uncountable, nautical, obsolete) Canvas waterproofed with tar, used as a cover.
- A hat made of, or covered with, painted or tarred cloth, worn by sailors and others.
- French: bâche
- German: Persenning, Plane
- Italian: telone impermeabile, tela cerata
- Portuguese: encerado, oleado
- Russian: брезе́нт
- Spanish: lona alquitranada, lona impermeable, lona