- A status of possessing a thing or an office; an incumbency.
- All that seems thine own, / Held by the tenure of his will alone.
- A period of time during which something is possessed.
- A status of having a permanent post with enhanced job security within an academic institution.
- A right to hold land under the feudal system.
- (a status of possessing a thing or an office) incumbency
- German: Besitz
- Italian: essere titolare, permanenza in carica, gestione
- Russian: владе́ние
- Spanish: tenencia
- German: Amtszeit
- Italian: durata di un incarico, durata di un mandato
- Russian: срок владение
- Spanish: antigüedad
- French: titularisation
- German: Bekleidung, Innehaben
- Italian: essere di ruolo, titolare di una cattedra
- Russian: пребыва́ние в должность
- Spanish: titularidad
- French: tenure
- German: Besitztitel, Besitzanspruch
- Italian: godimento di un terreno
tenure (tenures, present participle tenuring; past and past participle tenured)
- (transitive) To grant tenure, the status of having a permanent academic position, to (someone).