- IPA: /ˈθiːsɪs/
thesis (plural theses)
- A statement supported by arguments.
- A written essay, especially one submitted for a university degree; a dissertation
- I told them of the grave, becoming, and sublime deportment they should assume upon this mystical occasion, and read them two homilies and a thesis of my own composing, to prepare them.
- (logic) An affirmation, or distinction from a supposition or hypothesis.
- (music) The accented part of the measure, expressed by the downward beat; the opposite of arsis.
- (poetry) The depression of the voice in pronouncing the syllables of a word.
- (poetry) The part of the metrical foot upon which such a depression falls.
- French: thèse
- German: Abschlussarbeit, Bachelorarbeit, Masterarbeit, Diplomarbeit, Doktorarbeit, Dissertation (only doctoral thesis)
- Italian: tesi
- Portuguese: tese
- Russian: диссерта́ция
- Spanish: tesis doctoral