- Unable to clearly distinguish the difference in pitch between different notes.
- (colloquial) Having little appreciation of music, whether or not as a result of tone deafness.
- (colloquial) Out of touch with the experience of ordinary people.
- a politician's tone-deaf remarks about the price of bread
- (colloquial) Insensitive and offensive as a result of not noticing the current social context.
- Tone-deaf people, as a group.
- a distinction unavailable to the tone-deaf
- French: qui n'a pas d'oreille
- German: ohne Gefühl für Tonhöhen, ohne musikalisches Gehör
- Italian: che non ha orecchio
- Portuguese: amúsico
- Russian: не различать
- Spanish: sin oído musical