- (toxicology) Having a chemical nature that is harmful to health or lethal if consumed or otherwise entering into the body in sufficient quantities.
- Synonyms: poisonous, venomous
- Tobacco smoke contains many toxic substances.
- (medicine) Appearing grossly unwell; characterised by serious, potentially life-threatening compromise in the respiratory, circulatory or other body systems.
- The child appeared toxic on arrival at the hospital.
- (figurative) Severely negative or harmful.
- a toxic environment that promoted bullying
- (figurative, of a person) Hateful or strongly antipathetic.
- It is not good to be around toxic people.
- French: toxique
- German: giftig, toxisch
- Italian: tossico, tossica
- Portuguese: tóxico, tóxica
- Russian: токси́чный
- Spanish: tóxico, tóxica