trigger (plural triggers)
- A finger-operated lever used to fire a gun.
- Just pull the trigger.
- A similar device used to activate any mechanism.
- An event that initiates others, or incites a response.
- Sleeping in an unfamiliar room can be a trigger for sleepwalking.
- A concept or image that upsets somebody.
- I can't watch that violent film. Blood is one of my triggers.
- (psychology) An event, experience or other stimulus that initiates a traumatic memory or action in a person.
- (music) An electronic transducer allowing a drum, cymbal, etc. to control an electronic drum unit or similar device.
- (music) A device that manually lengthens (or sometimes shortens) the slide or tubing of a brass instrument, allowing the pitch range to be altered while playing.
- (electronics) A pulse in an electronic circuit that initiates some component.
- (databases) An SQL procedure that may be initiated when a record is inserted, updated or deleted; typically used to maintain referential integrity.
- (online gaming) A text string that, when received by a player, will cause the player to execute a certain command.
- (archaic) A catch to hold the wheel of a carriage on a declivity.
- French: détente
- German: Abzug
- Italian: grilletto
- Portuguese: gatilho
- Russian: спусково́й крючо́к
- Spanish: gatillo
- Portuguese: trigger
- Russian: три́ггер
trigger (triggers, present participle triggering; past and past participle triggered)
- (transitive) To fire a weapon.
- (transitive) To initiate something.
- The controversial article triggered a deluge of angry letters from readers.
- (transitive) To spark a response, especially a negative emotional response, in (someone).
- This story contains a rape scene and may be triggering for rape victims.
- (intransitive, especially, electronics) To activate; to become active.
- (fire a weapon) activate, detonate, fire
- (initiate something) activate, initiate
- (spark a response) push someone's buttons
- Italian: premere il grilletto, sparare
- Portuguese: apertar o gatilho, atirar
- Spanish: apretar el gatillo, detonar, gatillar
- French: déclencher
- German: auslösen
- Italian: innescare, accendere la miccia
- Portuguese: desencadear
- Spanish: desencadenar