trope (plural tropes)
- (art, literature) Something recurring across a genre or type#Noun|type of art or literature, such as the ‘mad scientist’ of horror movies or the use of the phrase ‘once upon a time’ as an introduction to fairy tales; a motif.
- (rhetoric) A figure of speech in which word#Noun|words or phrase#Noun|phrases are used with a nonliteral or figurative meaning#Noun|meaning, such as a metaphor.
- (geometry) Mathematical senses.
- (music) Musical senses.
- (philosophy) Philosophical senses.
- French: trope, expression figurative
- German: Tropus, Trope
- Italian: tropo, figura retorica, metafora, metonimia
- Russian: троп
- Spanish: tropo
- Italian: tropo
trope (tropes, present participle troping; past and past participle troped)
- (transitive) To use#Verb|use, or embellish something with, a trope.
- (transitive) Senses relating chiefly to art or literature.
- (intransitive) To think#Verb|think or write in terms of tropes.