- (idiomatic) To refuse, decline, or deny.
- He turned down all our offers of help.
- (idiomatic) To reduce the power, etc. of something by means of a control, such as the volume, heat, or light.
- Turn down the television so I can hear myself think.
- When it starts to boil, turn down the heat to a simmer.
- (idiomatic) To reposition by turning, flipping, etc. in a downward direction.
- Turn down the blankets to let them air out.
- French: refuser, décliner
- German: ablehnen, absagen, abweisen, zurückweisen, verweigern, sich verweigern, jemandem einen Korb geben
- Italian: rifiutare
- Portuguese: recusar, rejeitar
- Russian: отверга́ть
- Spanish: rechazar
- French: baisser
- German: reduzieren, herunterdrehen, herunterregeln, niedriger stellen, verringern, herunter stellen, vermindern
- Portuguese: abaixar, diminuir, reduzir
- Russian: убавля́ть
- Spanish: disminuir, reducir