typewriter (plural typewriters)
- A device, at least partially mechanical, used to print text by pressing keys that cause type to be impressed through an inked ribbon onto paper.
- (archaic) One who uses a typewriter; a typist.
- (US, dated, slang) A machine gun (from the noise it makes when firing).
- Why, any day I'd go up against a typewriter, with a forty-five. One shot I'd need and there'd be time for three while he was getting that damn' thing swung around and pointed —
- (one who uses a typewriter) typist
- French: machine à écrire
- German: Schreibmaschine
- Italian: macchina da scrivere
- Portuguese: máquina de escrever
- Russian: пи́шущая маши́нка
- Spanish: máquina de escribir
- French: dactylo
- Russian: машини́стка