understanding (with of, but with for in sense of "sympathy")
- (gerund, uncountable) The act of one that understands or comprehends; comprehension; knowledge; discernment.
- (countable) Reason or intelligence, ability to grasp the full meaning of knowledge, ability to infer.
- (countable) Opinion, judgement or outlook.
- According to my understanding, the situation is quite perilous. I wonder if you see it this way, too.
- (countable) An agreement of minds; harmony; something mutually understood or agreed upon.
- (uncountable) Sympathy.
- He showed much understanding for my problems when he heard about my past.
- French: compréhension
- German: Verstehen, Verständnis
- Italian: comprensione
- Portuguese: compreensão, entendimento
- Russian: понима́ние
- Spanish: comprensión
- German: Einigung
- Spanish: avenimiento
- Showing compassion.
- (dated) Knowing; skilful.
- present participle of understand#English|understand