- IPA: /ʌn.ɪmˈplɔɪ.mənt/
- The state of having no job; joblessness.
- Unemployment made Jack depressed.
- The phenomenon of joblessness in an economy.
- Unemployment has been considered a cause of crime.
- The level of joblessness in an economy, often measured as a percentage of the workforce.
- Unemployment was reported at 5.2% in May, up from 4.9% in April.
- (countable) A type of joblessness due to a particular economic mechanism.
- All unemployments, seasonal, frictional, cyclical, classical, whatever, mean that you're out of work.
- (countable) An instance or period of joblessness.
- Until then his life had consisted of low-paying jobs, numberous unemployments, and drug use.
- French: chômage
- German: Arbeitslosigkeit, Werklosigkeit
- Italian: disoccupazione
- Portuguese: desemprego
- Russian: безрабо́тица
- Spanish: desempleo, paro (Spain)