- Not essential.
- Synonyms: inessential, unimportant
- Antonyms: essential
- 1676, Joseph Glanvill, Seasonable Reflections and Discourses, London: R.W. [and] H. Mortlock, p. 92,
- [I] have a question more to ask you on occasion of what you have told me; and that is, Whether you are to leave every Minister and Church, as soon as any thing is said that is really erroneous, in the lesser and unessential matters?
- 1716, Joseph Addison, The Free-Holder, No. 39, 4 May, 1716, London: D. Midwinter and J. Tonson, p. 225,
- [He was] moved rather with Pity than Indignation towards the Persons of those, who differed from him in the unessential Parts of Christianity.
- 1887, Thomas Hardy, The Woodlanders, Chapter 18,
- “ […] strangeness is not in the nature of a thing, but in its relation to something extrinsic—in this case an unessential observer.”
- 1926, F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, New York: Scribner, 1953, Chapter 9, p. 165,
- But all this part of it seemed remote and unessential.
- void#Adjective|Void of essence, or real being.
- Synonyms: unsubstantial
- 1667, John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 2, lines 438-441,
- These [gates] past, if any pass, the void profound
- Of unessential Night receives him next
- Wide gaping, and with utter loss of being
- Threatens him,
- 1686, William Hall, A sermon preach'd before Her Majesty the Queen Dowager, London: William Grantham, p. 7,
- […] even before the Heavens, before those material Orbs, that now rowl over us, were call’d from the dark, and profound Abyss of unessential Nothing: