- Happening through bad luck, or because of some unfortunate event.
- 1945 August 17, George Orwell [pseudonym; Eric Arthur Blair], chapter 1, in Animal Farm: A Fairy Story, London: Secker & Warburg, OCLC 3655473 ↗:
- Unfortunately, the uproar awoke Mr. Jones, who sprang out of bed, making sure that there was a fox in the yard.
- French: malheureusement, malencontreusement
- German: leider, unglücklicherweise
- Italian: sfortunatamente, purtroppo, malauguratamente
- Portuguese: infelizmente
- Russian: к сожале́нию
- Spanish: desafortunadamente, desgraciadamente, lamentablemente, por desgracia, infortunadamente