- Not hallowed or blessed; unholy.
- The murderer was buried in unhallowed ground.
- c. 1596-97, William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act IV scene i:
- smallcaps Gratiano:
- O, be thou damn'd, inexecrable dog!
- And for thy life let justice be accused.
- Thou almost makest me waver in my faith,
- To hold opinion with Pythagoras,
- That souls of animals infuse themselves
- Into the trunks of men: thy currish spirit
- Govern'd a wolf, who, hang'd for human slaughter,
- Even from the gallows did his fell soul fleet,
- And, whilst thou lay'st in thy unhallow'd dam,
- Infused itself in thee; for thy desires
- Are wolfish, bloody, starved, and ravenous.