- Having a fast pace, tempo, or beat.
- The notes are easy, but it's an upbeat tune and should be played fairly quickly.
- Having a positive, lively, or perky tone, attitude, etc.
- Though he had bad news, he ended with an upbeat forecast for the future.
- He sounded upbeat when I talked to him.
- (optimistic) downbeat
- French: entraînant
- German: (colloquial, music) peppig
- Russian: быстрый
- French: optimiste
- German: fröhlich, optimistisch, heiter und zuversichtlich gestimmt
- Russian: жизнера́достный
- Spanish: optimista, positivo
upbeat (plural upbeats)
- An unaccented beat at the start of a musical phrase.
- The conductor said: I give you three beats for nothing and then you come in on the upbeat.