- (of a man) Courteous, polite, refined, and suave.
- 1949: George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four, p12
- 2017 September 27, David Browne, "Hugh Hefner, 'Playboy' Founder, Dead at 91 ↗," Rolling Stone
- And with his trademark smoking jackets and pipes – and the silk pajamas he would often wear to work – Hefner became the embodiment of a sexually adventurous yet urbane image and lifestyle, a seeming role model for generations of men.
- He felt deeply drawn to him, and not solely because he was intrigued by the contrast between O’Brien’s urbane manner and his prize-fighter’s physique.
- Antonyms: rustic