- IPA: /ˈjuːs.ləs/
- Without use or possibility to be used.
- This fork has prongs that are bent. It's useless now.
- Unhelpful, not useful; pointless (of an action).
- I think it's useless to keep this discussion going. It's like talking to a wall.
- I tried my best to make him quit smoking, but my efforts were useless. He now smokes six packs a day.
- (pejorative, of a person) Good-for-nothing; not dependable.
- Bill never mows the lawn, takes out the trash or anything. He's useless, but I love him anyways.
- (colloquial, of a person) Unable to do well at a particular task or thing. Useless is mildly insulting.
- My brother is useless at most computer games, but he is an awesome PS2 player.
- Why do you keep trying? You're obviously useless at it.
- French: inutile, inutilisable
- German: nutzlos, unnützlich, unnütz, wertlos, sinnlos
- Italian: inutile
- Portuguese: inútil, imprestável
- Russian: бесполе́зный
- Spanish: inútil