- Against; in opposition to.
- Synonyms: vs, vs.
- It is the Packers versus the Steelers in the Super Bowl.
- Compared with, as opposed to.
- (legal) Bringing a legal action against, as used in the title of a court case in which the first party indicates the plaintiff (or appellant or the like), and the second indicates the defendant (or respondent or the like).
- Synonyms: v, v.
- Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kans.
- French: contre, face à
- German: gegen, im Gegensatz zu, contra
- Italian: contro
- Portuguese: contra, vérsus
- Russian: про́тив
- Spanish: contra, en vez de