- (uncountable) A sour liquid formed by the fermentation of alcohol used as a condiment or preservative; a dilute solution of acetic acid.
- (countable) Any variety of vinegar.
- a range of herb-flavoured vinegars
vinegar (vinegars, present participle vinegaring; past and past participle vinegared)
- (transitive) To season or otherwise treat with vinegar.
- 1841 February–November, Charles Dickens, “Barnaby Rudge”, in Master Humphrey’s Clock, volume (
please specify ), London: Chapman & Hall, […], OCLC 633494058 ↗, chapter 19:
- Accordingly, after a vast amount of moaning and crying up-stairs, and much damping of foreheads, and vinegaring of temples, and hartshorning of noses, and so forth […]