- (uncountable) Health, safety, happiness and prosperity; well-being in any respect.
- (uncountable, chiefly US) Various forms of financial aid provided by the government to those who are in need of it (abbreviated form of welfare assistance).
- (chiefly US) Such payment.
- French: bien-être
- German: Wohlergehen, Wohlfahrt
- Portuguese: bem-estar
- Russian: благосостоя́ние
- Spanish: bienestar
- French: aide sociale
- German: Sozialhilfe, Wohlfahrt
- Portuguese: segurança social
- Russian: социальный
- Spanish: seguridad social
welfare (welfares, present participle welfaring; past and past participle welfared)
- (transitive) To provide with welfare or aid.
- welfaring the poor