- (British, America) IPA: /ˈʍiː.dəl/ (without the wine-whine merger)
- (British, America) IPA: /ˈwiː.dəl/ (with the wine-whine merger)
wheedle (wheedles, present participle wheedling; past and past participle wheedled)
- (ambitransitive) To cajole or attempt to persuade by flattery.
- I'd like one of those, too, if you can wheedle him into telling you where he got it.
- (transitive) To obtain by flattery, guile, or trickery.
- A deed of settlement of the best part of her estate, which I wheedled out of her.
- German: überreden, beschwatzen, umschmeicheln, schmeicheln, herumkriegen
- Russian: подли́зываться
- Spanish: engatusar, camelar
- German: abschwatzen, abschmeicheln, abbetteln, abheucheln, erschmeicheln, abschwätzen, aus dem Kreuz leiern, aus den Rippen leiern
- Italian: ottenere con lusinghe
- Russian: выма́нивать лесть
wheedle (plural wheedles)
- (archaic) A coaxing person.