- (America) IPA: /ˈhɔɹɪʃ/
- (vulgar) Resembling or befitting a whore.
- Some pop singers try to compensate for lack of talent with whorish outfits and gyrations.
- circa 1601 William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida, Act IV, Scene 1,
- You, like a lecher, out of whorish loins
- Are pleased to breed out your inheritors:
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Book of Ezekiel 6:9,
- […] I am broken with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols […]
- 1989, John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany, New York: William Morrow, Chapter 7, p. 327,
- […] Lish’s mother, the divorcee, was a beauty and a whorish flirt.
- Synonyms: hookerish, meretricious, sluttery, slutlike, sluttish, slutty, tartish, tarty, trampy, whorey, whorelike
- Italian: puttanesco