- IPA: /ˈwɪstfəl/
- Full of longing#Noun|longing or yearning#Noun|yearning.
- His eyes grew wistful as he recalled his university days.
- 1909, Archibald Marshall [pseudonym; Arthur Hammond Marshall], “A Court Ball”, in The Squire’s Daughter, London: Methuen, OCLC 12026604 ↗; republished New York, N.Y.: Dodd, Mead and Company, 1919, OCLC 491297620 ↗, page 1 ↗:
- Her grey eyes, looking out on the violet of the night sky, the trees, and the crowd of hilarious onlookers who had not been invited to Buckingham Palace, had a patient and wistful expression.
- Sad and thoughtful.
- French: mélancolique
- German: wehmütig
- Italian: malinconico, nostalgico
- Portuguese: saudoso
- Russian: тоску́ющий
- Spanish: nostálgico
- Russian: заду́мчивый
- Spanish: melancólico