thesaurus & dictionary > OCR Plugin > Cannot install to Xiaomi RN3P

Search

Topic closed
User Post
Eugene Muzychenko
6 post(s)

I successfully use English, French, Italian and Spanish dicrionaries on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Qualcomm/kenzo, MIUI 8.0.6.0, Android 5.1.1) phone for more than a year. But OCR Plugin cannot be found in Google Play by its name. Only direct link opens the page but GP says "your device isn't compatible with this version".

All other camera apps work fine. Google Translate can use camera and recognize texts too.

What might be the problem?

29-Jan-18, 10:15:56 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
admin
145 post(s)

Web site
In order to avoid problems to users and in order to protect ourself against unfair behaviours, the OCR application is restricted to devices that satisfy the SafetyNet requirements.

More details about SafetyNet:

https://developer.android.com/training/safetynet/index.html

29-Jan-18, 18:48:03 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
Eugene Muzychenko
6 post(s)

Are you sure that my issue is really SafetyNet related? Android and Play Store say nothing about security problems on my smartphone. In Play Store, I see thousands of available apps, including most popular ones (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Google Maps, WhatsApp etc.). If my device had known security problems, I think it would be visible.

30-Jan-18, 9:06:08 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
admin
145 post(s)

Web site
SafetyNet check is the only filter for OCR plugin that could block your device.
In Google Play there are few apps that perform a SafetyNet check for any device, please install one of these applications and check.

30-Jan-18, 18:39:50 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
Eugene Muzychenko
6 post(s)

Just ran SafetyNet Test and it reported that my phone does not satisfy the requirements (maybe because it is rooted to use someĀ  advanced features).

Could you please explain the reason to restrict OCR Plugin to SafetyNet-compliant devices? I understand it might be useful for some critical applications that control money or other valuable resources. But what bad or risky may occur if OCR Plugin is used on non-compliant device?

Such policy would be reasonable if many popular applications were restricted too. But in fact, absolute majority of Android apps are not restricted.

31-Jan-18, 7:06:20 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
admin
145 post(s)

Web site
Why did you root your device? We care about safety from all point of views, not only payments. We do not root devices.

It is well known that it is not a good practice, please read following article:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/dont-root-your-android-phone,news-24452.html

If you want to install the OCR plugin please unroot your device. That's all.

31-Jan-18, 18:55:22 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam
Eugene Muzychenko
6 post(s)

I had to root my phone because the OS (Android and MIUI) don't allow me to customize and control the phone as I want. Rooting is troublesome and inconvenient but there is no way to use the phone as I want.

For example, I have good vision so smallest possible Android fonts are very large for me on 1080x1920 display. The only way to customize pixel density and UI is to install Xposed and xMIUI module under it.

Another example is the backup. There is no way to make a complete backup of an application, including its both "internal" and "external" data (Android application data storage paradigm was changed several times since Android was announced). To backup an application having large databases (for example, offline translators, offline maps etc.), you need access to all their directories, it's impossible without rooting.

I know may people rooted their devices only to be "cool". I would prefer to avoid rooting and other kinds of hacking but Android does not offer features to control the device other way. The main goal of Android is to force all users behave as suggested by Google.

BTW, I use rooted Android devices for many years and never had viruses, trojans or other malicious agents. On the contrary, most people I know had malicious software on their devices but they never rooted them.

I understand your position regarding SafetyNet. Maybe it will ever make Android world safer. But definitely not now.

01-Feb-18, 6:41:39 Rispondi | Citazione | Report spam