- IPA: /waɪz/
- in the direction or orientation of
- The gaoler slowly turned the key clockwise.
- in the manner of
- You need to follow the instructions carefully; otherwise, the project may not turn out.
- Contrariwise, it could be a good idea.
- in the matter of; with regard to
- This morning looks promising, weather-wise.
- 1919, Saki, ‘The Penance’, The Toys of Peace, Penguin 2000 (Complete Short Stories), p. 423:
- They had parents in India—that much Octavian had learned in the neighbourhood; the children, beyond grouping themselves garment-wise into sexes, a girl and two boys, carried their life-story no further on his behoof.
- One (thing) at a time
- Add the reagent dropwise to the solution.
- -way, -ways