- (America) IPA: /aɪ.dəmˈpoʊ.tənt/, /ɪ.dəmˈpoʊ.tənt/
idempotent (not comparable)
- (mathematics, computing) Said of a function: describing an action which, when performed multiple times on the same subject, has no further effect on its subject after the first time it is performed.
- A projection operator is idempotent.
- (mathematics) Said of an element of an algebraic structure with a binary operation (such as a group or semigroup): when the element operates on itself, the result is equal to itself.
- Every finite semigroup has an idempotent element.
- Every group has a unique idempotent element: namely, its identity element.
- (mathematics) Said of a binary operation: that all of the distinct elements it can operate on are idempotent (in the sense given just above).
- Since the AND logical operator is commutative, associative, and idempotent, then it distributes with respect to itself.
- (mathematics) Said of an algebraic structure: having an idempotent operation (in the sense above).
- German: idempotent
- Russian: идемпоте́нтный
- Spanish: idempotente
idempotent (plural idempotents)
- (mathematics) An idempotent element.
- (mathematics) An idempotent structure.