- unlucky; doomed.
- My grandfather was originally scheduled to travel on the ill-fated last voyage of the RMS Lusitania, but thankfully had to change his plans at the last minute.
- 2012, Christoper Zara, Tortured Artists: From Picasso and Monroe to Warhol and Winehouse, the Twisted Secrets of the World's Most Creative Minds, part 1, chapter 1, gbooks :
- In February 1927, eight short months before minstrel Al Jolson sang “My Mammy” to enthralled moviegoers who had never before heard pictures talk, the ill-fated silent movie industry had itself one last fling: Paramount Pictures' romantic comedy It, […]
- 2017 August 25, "Arrest threat as Yingluck Shinawatra misses verdict ↗", in aljazeera.com, Al Jazeera:
- Yingluck is facing a possible 10-year prison term on charges of negligence linked to an ill-fated rice subsidy programme that cost the state billions of dollars.
- German: unglücklich, vom Pech verfolgt, verhängnisvoll, zum Scheitern verurteilt
- Italian: malaugurato, sfortunato, predestinato
- Russian: злополу́чный
- Spanish: malhadado, empecatado