- (America) IPA: /ɪntɚˈtʃeɪndʒəbl̩/, [ɪɾ̃ɚˈtʃeɪndʒəbl̩]
interchangeable (not comparable)
- Freely substitutable; that may be swapped at will.
- Eli Whitney's development of interchangeable parts was a breakthrough for modern manufacturing. Prior to that, each part had to be made custom.
- 2014, Ian Jack, "Is this the end of Britishness ↗", The Guardian, 16 September 2014:
- The English, until relatively recently, seem to have imagined “English” and “British” to be interchangeable, as if Britain was just a bigger England.
- Following each other in alternate succession; alternating.
- French: interchangeable
- German: austauschbar, auswechselbar
- Italian: intercambiabile, interscambiabile
- Portuguese: intercambiável
- Russian: взаимозаменя́емый
- Spanish: intercambiable
interchangeable (plural interchangeables)
- Anything that can be interchanged; a substitute.