- IPA: /ˈæ.ɡət/
- (countable, uncountable, mineral) A semi-pellucid, uncrystallized variety of quartz, presenting various tints in the same specimen, with colors delicately arranged in stripes or bands, or blended in clouds.
- (uncountable, US printing, dated) The size of type between pearl and nonpareil, standardized as frac 5-point.
- (countable, typography) One fourteenth of an inch
- (countable, obsolete) A diminutive person; so called in allusion to the small figures cut in agate for rings and seals.
- (countable) A tool used by gold-wire drawers, bookbinders, etc.;—so called from the agate fixed in it for burnishing.
- (countable) A marble made from agate.
- (slang, usually, in the plural) A testicle.
- Spanish: ágata
- (America) IPA: /əˈɡæt/
agate (not comparable)
- (obsolete) On the way; agoing.
- to be agate; to set the bells agate