- IPA: /æn.tæ.ɡə.ˈnɪs.tɪk/
- Contending or acting against.
- They were distinct, adverse, even antagonistic.
- 1866, American Journal of Pharmacy and the Sciences Supporting Public Health:
- Though the tephrosia is a powerful agent, and, if carried too far beyond the antagonistic action of the poison, is, I presume, not entirely without danger, I have never known any bad symptoms to arise from its use.
- (biochemistry) Relating to an antagonist
- See also Thesaurus:combative
- French: antagonique
- German: antagonistisch
- Portuguese: antagonista, antagónico (Portugal), antagônico (Brazil), antagonístico
- Spanish: antagonista, hostil, antagónico