- IPA: /ˈkɒntʊə(ɹ)/, /-tɔː(ɹ)/
contour (plural contours)
- An outline, boundary or border, usually of curved shape.
- the low drag contour of a modern automobile
- A line on a map or chart delineating those points which have the same altitude or other plotted quantity: a contour line or isopleth.
- Synonyms: contour line
- (linguistics) a speech sound which behaves as a single segment, but which makes an internal transition from one quality, place, or manner to another.
- hypo en
- French: contour
- German: Kontur
- Italian: contorno, profilo
- Portuguese: contorno
- Russian: ко́нтур
- Spanish: contorno
- French: ligne de niveau
- German: Höhenlinie, Höhenlinien, Isohypse, Niveaulinie, Höhenschichtlinie
- Russian: изоли́ния
contour (contours, present participle contouring; past and past participle contoured)
- (transitive) To form a more or less curved boundary or border upon.
- (transitive) To mark with contour lines.