- (British) IPA: /dɪˈfɛnsɪv/
- Intended for defence; protective.
- a defensive perimeter
- Intended to deter attack.
- a defensive missile system
- Performed so as to minimise risk.
- defensive driving
- Displaying an inordinate sensitivity to criticism or intrusion.
- (cricket) Of a bowling or fielding tactic designed to prevent the other side from scoring runs; of a batting tactic designed to prevent being out.
- (mostly, sports) Pertaining to defense, as opposed to attack.
- The victim held up his hand to repel the attacker and received a defensive knife wound.
- In a state or posture of defense.
- Russian: оборони́тельный
defensive (plural defensives)Translations
- Portuguese: defensiva
- Russian: оборо́на