- IPA: /ˈfɪʃɪŋ/
- (uncountable) The act of catching fish.
- We had a good day's fishing at the weekend.
- (uncountable, informal) The act of catching other forms of seafood, separately or together with fish.
(uncountable) Commercial fishing: the business or industry of catching fish and other seafood for sale.
- This is good news for the fishing industry.
- (countable) A fishery, a place for catching fish.
- the rent of the fishings
- 1917, The Scots Law Times (volume 2, page 190)
- Generally speaking, the only fishings which appear separately in Valuation Rolls as having a lettable value in their actual state from year to year are salmon-fishings.
- (act) piscatology, piscation, piscicide (pejorative), piscicapture, the gentle craft
- (business) fishery, the fish industry, the seafood industry
- (sport) sportfishing
- (place) See fishery
- French: pêche
- German: Fischen
- Italian: pesca
- Portuguese: pescaria, pesca
- Russian: рыба́лка
- Spanish: pesca
- present participle of fish#English|fish