gadfly (plural gadflies)
- Any dipterous insect of the family Oestridae, commonly known as botflies.
- Synonyms: botfly
- cot en
- A horsefly: any of various species of fly, of the family Tabanidae, noted for buzzing about animals and sucking their blood.
- Synonyms: horsefly, stoat-fly, stout
- cot en
- 2005, Rafael Argullol, The End of the World as a Work of Art: A Western Story, Bucknell University Press (ISBN 9780838756263), page 48:
- Vengeful Hera transformed her into an animal (a beautiful cow), and imposed upon her the company of a gadfly to sting her continuously, thus forcing her to escape on an endless pilgrimage.
- (figurative) One who upsets the status quo by posing upsetting or novel questions, or attempts to stimulate innovation by proving an irritant.
- (pejorative) One who merely irritates without making useful suggestions.
- (derogatory, slang) A bloodsucker; a person who takes without giving back.
- Synonyms: bloodsucker, Thesaurus:scrounger
- He's a regular gadfly and takes advantage of his friend's generosity.