- IPA: /ɪnˈæktɪv/
- Not active, temporarily or permanently.
- The volcano is inactive, but is only dormant.
- An inactive boy, he rarely exercised and preferred to stay indoors.
- Not functioning or operating; broken down
- The photocopier is inactive pending repair.
- Retired from duty or service.
- Admiral Jones is now on the inactive list.
- (chemistry) Relatively inert.
- Aluminium is inactive towards water.
- (physics) Showing no optical activity in polarized light.
- Synthetic glycine is optically inactive as it contains equal amounts of the d- and l- form.
- (not active) active
- French: inactif
- German: inaktiv, untätig
- Italian: inattivo
- Portuguese: inativo
- Russian: неакти́вный
- Spanish: inactivo