- IPA: /ˈliːni.ənt/
- Lax; not strict; tolerant of dissent or deviation
- The standard is fairly lenient, so use your discretion.
- 1847, Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre, Chapter XVIII
- But in other points, as well as this, I was growing very lenient to my master; I was forgetting all his faults, for which I had once kept a sharp look-out. It had formerly been my endeavour to study all sides of his character; to take the bad with the good; and from the just weighing of both, to form an equitable judgment. Now I saw no bad.
- French: indulgent, permissif, laxiste
- German: nachsichtig
- Italian: permissivo, tollerante, indulgente
- Portuguese: leniente
- Russian: снисходи́тельный
- Spanish: tolerante, laxo, leniente, de manga ancha
lenient (plural lenients)