- the act of rejecting or renouncing something as invalid
- The President's renunciation of the treaty has upset Congress.
- The life of the spirit demands readiness for renunciation when the occasion arises...
- the resignation of an ecclesiastical office
- The bishop's renunciation was on account of his ill health.
- (legal) The act by which a person abandons a right acquired, but without transferring it to another.
- (Christianity) In the Anglican baptismal service, the part in which the candidate in person or by his sureties renounces the Devil and all his works.
- French: renonciation
- Russian: отка́з
- Russian: отреше́ние