- of or pertaining to a slave.
- 1703, Alexander Pope, transl., “The Thebais of Statius”, in The Works of Alexander Pope, London: H. Lintont et al., published 1751:
- Even fortune rules no more, O servile land!
- submissive or slavish.
- servile flattery; servile obedience
- (grammar) Not belonging to the original root.
- a servile letter
- (grammar) Not sounded, but serving to lengthen the preceding vowel, like the e in tune.
- German: unterwürfig
- Italian: adulatore, servile, leccapiedi
- Portuguese: servil
- Russian: раболе́пный
- Spanish: servil
servile (plural serviles)Antonyms