smelly (comparative smellier, superlative smelliest)
- Having a bad smell.
- She was hesitant to remove her shoes, as her socks were rather smelly.
- (figuratively) Having a quality that arouses suspicion.
- The detective read the documents and thought, "Something sure is smelly about this case."
- (figuratively, computing, slang, in extreme programming) Having signs that suggest a design problem; having a code smell.
- That smelly code needs to be refactored.
- (having a bad smell): fetid, foul-smelling, malodorous, rank, stinky (slang), whiffy (slang); see also Thesaurus:malodorous
- (having a quality that arouses suspicion): dodgy (informal), doubtful, dubious, suspect, suspicious
- (having a bad smell): aromatic, fragrant, sweet-smelling
- (having a quality that arouses suspicion): above board, clean
- French: puant, puante, malodorant
- German: stinkend
- Italian: puzzolente, puzzoso, fetente, fetido, maleodorante, graveolente
- Portuguese: fedorento
- Russian: воню́чий
- Spanish: maloliente
- Italian: sospetto
smelly (plural smellies)
- (firearms, informal) a Short Magazine Lee Enfield rifle or one of its derivatives.