- (Canada) IPA: /ˈsɔɹoʊfəl/, /ˈsɔɹəfəl/
- (America) IPA: /ˈsɑɹoʊfəl/, /ˈsɑɹəfəl/
- (RP) IPA: /ˈsɒɹəʊfəl/, /ˈsɒɹəfəl/
- (New Zealand) IPA: /ˈsɔɹɐʉfɘl/, /ˈsɔɹɘfɘl/
- (of a person) exhibiting sorrow; dejected; distraught.
- Producing sorrow; causing grief.
- sorrowful accident
- 1900, L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Chapter 23
- She threw her arms around the Lion's neck and kissed him, patting his big head tenderly. Then she kissed the Tin Woodman, who was weeping in a way most dangerous to his joints. But she hugged the soft, stuffed body of the Scarecrow in her arms instead of kissing his painted face, and found she was crying herself at this sorrowful parting from her loving comrades.
- French: triste, douloureux
- German: betrübt, kummervoll, sorgenvoll, traurig
- Portuguese: magoado
- Russian: печа́льный
- Spanish: triste
- French: attristant