- (America) IPA: /ˈmɔɹnfəl/
- (RP) IPA: /ˈmɔːnfəl/
- (rhotic, horse-hoarse) IPA: /ˈmo(ː)ɹnfəl/
- (nonrhotic, horse-hoarse) IPA: /ˈmoənfəl/
mournful (comparative mournfuller, superlative mournfullest)
- Filled with grief or sadness; being in a state in which one mourns.
- Fit to inspire mourning; tragic.
- Having deposited our mournful burden upon tressels within this region of horror, we partially turned aside the yet unscrewed lid of the coffin, and looked upon the face of the tenant.
- See also Thesaurus:sad
- French: affligé, éploré, mélancolique, lugubre, funèbre, morne, chagrin
- Italian: lamentoso
- Portuguese: pesaroso
- Russian: скорбный
- Spanish: melancólico, lastimero