armature (plural armatures)
- The rotating part of an electric motor or dynamo, which mostly consists of coils of wire around a metal core.
- The moving part in an electromechanical device like a loudspeaker or a buzzer.
- A piece of soft steel or iron that connects the poles of a magnet
- (sculpture) A supporting framework in a sculpture.
- (computer graphics) A kinematic chain (a system of bones or rigid bodies connected by joints) that is used to pose and deform models, often character models.
- A protective organ, structure, or covering of an animal or plant, for defense or offense, like claws, teeth, thorns, or the shell of a turtle.
- Armor, or a suit of armor.
- Any apparatus for defence.
- The frame of a pair of glasses.
armature (armatures, present participle armaturing; past and past participle armatured)
- To provide with an armature (any sense).