carbohydrate (plural carbohydrates)
- (organic chemistry, nutrition) A sugar, starch, or cellulose that is a food source of energy for an animal or plant.
- Synonyms: carb, saccharide, Thesaurus:carbohydrate
- These microbes are primarily responsible for breaking down cellulose and other carbohydrates into volatile fatty acids (VFAs).
- (colloquial, by extension, metonym) Any food rich in starch or other carbohydrates.
- I'm cutting down on carbohydrates like bread and pasta.
- French: glucide
- German: Kohlenhydrat
- Italian: carboidrato
- Portuguese: carboidrato
- Russian: углево́д
- Spanish: carbohidrato, hidrato de carbono