- (British) IPA: /ˈkɒmp(ə)ɹəbl̩/, /kəmˈpæɹəbl̩/
- (America) IPA: /ˈkɑmp(ə)ɹəbl̩/, /kəmˈpæɹəbl̩/
- (America, Mary-marry-merry) IPA: /kəmˈpɛɹəbl̩/
- (often with to) Able to be compared (to).
- An elephant is comparable in size to a double-decker bus.
- You can't say that robbing a bank is like pickpocketing. The two are just not comparable.
- (often with to) Similar (to); like.
- (mathematics) Constituting a pair in a particular partial order.
- Six and forty-two are comparable in the divides order, but six and nine are not.
- (grammar) Said of an adjective that has a comparative and superlative form.
- "Big" is a comparable adjective, since it can take the forms "bigger" and "biggest"; but "unique" is not comparable, except in disputed, but common, usage.
- French: comparable
- German: vergleichbar; qual in grammar steigerbar, komparabel, komparierbar, graduierbar
- Italian: comparabile
- Portuguese: comparável
- Russian: сравни́мый
- Spanish: comparable, equiparable
comparable (plural comparables)
- Something suitable for comparison.