encyclopedia (plural encyclopedias)
- A comprehensive reference work (often spanning several printed volumes) with articles (usually arranged in alphabetical order, or sometimes arranged by category) on a range of subjects, sometimes general, sometimes limited to a particular field.
- I only use the library for the encyclopedia, as we’ve got most other books here.
- His life's work was a four-volume encyclopedia of aviation topics.
- (dated) The circle of arts and sciences; a comprehensive summary of knowledge, or of a branch of knowledge.
- French: encyclopédie
- German: Enzyklopädie, Lexikon, Konversationslexikon
- Italian: enciclopedia
- Portuguese: enciclopédia
- Russian: энциклопе́дия
- Spanish: enciclopedia