- Highly offensive; abominable, sickening.
- 1891, Oscar Wilde, chapter XX, in The Picture of Dorian Gray, London; New York, N.Y.; Melbourne, Vic.: Ward Lock & Co., OCLC 34363729 ↗, page 334 ↗:
- Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was.
- French: odieux, dégoûtant
- German: ekelhaft, abscheulich
- Italian: laido
- Russian: отврати́тельный
- Spanish: aborrecible, detestable, odioso, abominable, repugnante, nefando, execrable
- Portuguese: repugnante, abominável, asqueroso, desprezível, detestável